Theresa May Survives Leadership Challenge, but Brexit Plan Is Still in Peril
- Britain’s prime minister survived a confidence vote, the gravest threat yet to her leadership as she faced criticism over her handling of Brexit talks.
- The promise Mrs. May made in order to win the vote was a humiliating one: that she would step down as prime minister before the next election.
Tabloid Publisher’s Deal in Hush-Money Inquiry Adds to Trump’s Danger
- The company admitted to paying a Playboy model, who had said she had an affair with Donald J. Trump, with the intention of protecting the Trump campaign.
- The revelation from prosecutors was a major step in their case that payouts to two women before the election violated campaign finance laws.
Pelosi Strikes Deal to Limit Her Speakership to 4 Years
- Representative Nancy Pelosi’s deal with dissident Democrats was her most consequential move to date to clinch the votes she needs to win the role.
- The agreement signals a major shift for Democrats, who, despite their party’s diversity, have governed for over a decade with the same trio at the helm.
China Tries a Different Approach With the U.S.: Treading Lightly
- The recent arrest of a top Chinese technology executive at the Trump administration’s request seemed certain to provoke a geopolitical showdown.
- But against the odds, Beijing opted to take a measured response. That decision was borne, in part, out of a position of economic weakness.
We’d like your thoughts on the New York Times home page experience.Let us know what you think